"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

Tuesday 9 September 2014

ODBDSLC213 - In Stitches

I hope you all enjoyed the sketch challenges we've had for the past month. It's time for a new challenge at Our Daily Bread Designs and this fortnight the theme is "In Stitches"! ODBDSLC213 is to create a card or project using real stitching or faux stitching or just a stitched theme :-)

I've chosen to use faux stitching and I've made 4 tags. Here they are:

Our Daily Bread Designs, tags, Elizabeth Whisson, ODBD, ODBDDT, Hand Knit, faux stitching, Ocean Treasures, Sand Dollar Bookmark, Anchor the Soul, Keep my Lamp burning, Psalm 18:28, Colossians 2:2, bible verse, Copic aribrush

For my first tag:

I used a kraft tag and stamped the verse, part of Colossians 2:2, from Our Daily Bread Designs Hand Knit stamp set using Memento Tuxedo Black. I then stamped the images from the same set, Hand Knit, using Memento Rich Cocoa and Distress Ink Gathered Twigs. Lastly I added some faux stitching (zig-zag pattern) using my Molotow Signal White paint pen and some twine. A simple, quick tag.


My second tag:

I also used a kraft tag and stamped the image from Our Daily Bread Designs Ocean Treasures all over the tag using Memento Peanut Brittle. I then added the poem from Our Daily Bread Designs Sand Dollar Bookmark in Memento Tuxedo Black. However, because it is a tag I had to stamp the poem separate from the title - so the the poem went below the "hole" and the title went above the "hole". I didn't put any twine on this one - so you can still read the title. Lastly I again added some faux stitching (straight stitch) using my Molotow signal white paint pen. Another really easy, simple and quick tag.


I've recently purchased an airbrush system for my Copic markers - something I've been wanting needing (so I told my husband :-) ) for a while. I was so excited when the ABS-1N system arrived in the post! There are a few different airbrush sets you can buy for your Copic markers but the one I got is able to use air cans or it can be hooked up to a compressor (you may need to purchase an additional hose though). For now I'm just using the aircans but plan on using my husband's compressor in the future.
This is what the ABS-1N kit looks like:

I couldn't wait to try out the airbrush on some tags too :-) For my third tag:


I have stamped the image and some words from the Our Daily Bread Designs Anchor the Soul set in Memento Tuxedo Black onto a manilla tag. I then grabbed my airbrush and started adding some colour with my Copic markers. I got a little carried away with the rope in one place but I think it adds to the character of the tag. Copic markers I used were: B02, B05, YR04, Y13, E43, E71, W5, E44, E79, N7, E49, E74 and RV17. Finally I've added some faux stitching (went for little triangles this time) with my Molotow signal white paint pen and some twine.

I love this little saying on this tag:
"Life's roughest storms prove the strength of our anchors"
It kind of makes us think - what or who is our anchor? Are we relying on the things of this world to "keep us afloat"?? Or are we standing firmly on Jesus - He should be our rock. I'm not saying that we won't be hurt (physically or emotionally) or that things will be easy if we stand firm in Jesus, but our eyes should be fixed on Him and looking to the wonderful, awesome, fantastic - more than words can describe - life that we can live with Him, for eternity! And why can we live this life with Him??! Because of what Jesus did for us. We are all sinners and in desperate need of saving. God cannot be in the presence of sin; and therefore, we are separated from God. God loves us so much that He sent His Son to earth to die for our sins. Jesus paid our penalty. But Jesus did not only pay the price for our sins - He also conquered death. He rose from the dead - and we too can have eternal life with God if we believe that this is what Jesus did for us. When we focus on Jesus it puts the rest of our life into perspective - Jesus should be our anchor.

For my fourth, and last, tag that I made this week:

I have stamped the verse Psalm 18:28 from the Our Daily Bread Designs Keep My Lamp Burning with Memento Tuxedo Black onto a manilla tag. I've then used Holbein Masking Ink to cover over the verse (so that I don't get the next stamp or Copic colours on the words). If you don't have masking fluid or ink you could use some sort of removeable tape (X-Press It sell big sheets of Mask-It) or you can even just use a post it note cut into shape. Once the masking ink was dry I then stamped the image from the same set, Keep My Lamp Burning, again using Memento Tuxedo black onto the tag. This is a large image so I only got about 3/4 of it on the tag.
I then grabbed out my airbrush again and started adding some Copic colours.
When you use the Copic airbrush system you usually use the broad nib end; however, to get the splatters on my ground at the bottom of my tag I turned my Copic marker around and used the sketch nib end - gives a cool splatter effect. Copic colours I used on this one were: B18, B16, B05, B02, B00, G24, R27, Y13, E43, E44 and E71. I then peeled off the masking ink.
Lastly I added some faux stitching again with my Molotow signal white paint pen and some twine to finish off the tag.

For more inspiration for this challenge please visit my talented design team sisters:

To see all the projects created for ODBDSLC213 or to join the challenge click here. You have until 8 pm Sunday, 21 September 2014 EDT to join us (or 8 am Monday, 22 September 2014 AWST). By participating in the challenge, you have a chance to be placed in a monthly draw to win a $15 ODBD Gift Certificate that can be used towards the purchase of stamps in the “stamps column” in the ODBD store; or to be spotlighted on the ODBD Blog at our next challenge! The random prize winner will be posted on the first challenge of each month.


Thanks for looking!

7 comments :

  1. Oh, Elizabeth, I love each of these bookmarks!! I love the various techniques and your faux-stitching, and woohoo for using the airbrush! It sure makes a big difference and truly makes it easier. These are going to make wonderful gifts and will be cherished and used with love!! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cool tags Elizabeth! Lovely faux stitching as well!
    Each of these would make a lovely bookmark for your Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can tell you had lots of fun making these! The airbrushing looks amazing! Is it messy? No, don't tell me - my DH won't go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what beautiful tags, Elizabeth!! Such a variety!! It looks like you had a great time airbrushing and coloring. The faux stitching is the perfect touch!! Stunning work my friend!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tags!! Love the great effect of your new airbrush, makes such a beautiful sunset, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo, love your tags Elizabeth! Each one is very unique and very creative! You've already made an impression for your first try at airbrushing! You'll want to ditch those cans and go straight to a compressor.....ask me how I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth your tags are all awesome!!! WOW!!! I think my fave is the lighthouse one! I like how you left the white space around the sentiment! It just pops!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated and I cherish each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...