"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

Saturday 17 November 2012

Happy Birthday - cake and card

Had fun this week making my daughter's birthday cake and card.

Cake was based on a picture from a cook book my mum lent me - Cadbury's Novelty Chocolate Cookbook.

Picture of front of cake:


Picture of back of cake:


I'm far from a professional cake maker (so don't look at it too closely) - but I had a lot of fun making this cake. I've never tried painting food colouring on a cake before - but found it was quite effective. Painted the grass, windows and door. Yellow icing is rolled fondant (recipe from Planet Cake's cookbook). Decorations are royal icing (there is also a recipe in Planet Cake's cookbook - but I used a recipe from my mum). The only bought decorations are the "pretty" flowers (ones that actually look like flowers!) you can see from the front of the cake photo, flakes (and crushed up for the "ground") and chocolate buttons (plus the unedible butterflies). Filling of the mushrooms is a recipe from Cadbury's Novelty Chocolate Cookbook. The cakes (for the mushroom house) are light fruitcakes (recipe from The Cake Decorator's Bible - by Angela Nislen and Sarah Maxwell).

Card I made for my daughter (no flash):


Card again (with flash so you can see the sparkle):

The patterned paper to the very left that you can see in this photo is the envelope I made using my scor-pal with scor-envi (which I love - makes it soooo easy)!

Inside of the card:



Copics: V01, V17, YG91, YG93, YG95, YG97, B000, E25, E31, E40, E41, E42, E43, E50, N1, 0, black multiliners 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 mm.
Stamps: Whimsy Wee Stamps - Silver Fairy, "Happy Birthday" from Humphrey's Corner Collection - Birthday Girl, "Jesus loves you" from Inkadinkado - Good news and Bible verse from Our Daily Bread Designs - Scripture Series 1.
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black and Versa Color #69 Bamboo.
Cardstock: DCWV - Textured neutrals, Creativ plain, Kaisercraft - Chapter One and Merci - Vintage Romance.
Dies: Sizzix "swirly"
Other: Atyou Spica #00 clear and #14 Blossom glitter pens, Sizzix Big Shot, Fiskars rotary trimmer, scor-pal, scor-envi, scissors, double sided tape, double sided foam, fiskars twist and flip rounded corner punch, fiskars flower border punch, Carl CP-7 corner rounder (with heart) punch, Papercraft pearls and Tsukineko jumbo dauber.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments are greatly appreciated and I cherish each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...